Viruses which is called as cold rhinoviruses, can be spread person to person or surface to person. It may last live on surface for several days. Cold can occur all the time of year especially in the fall and winter. The person with weekend immune system are more preferably affected by the virus easily. People who are smoking can have high risk of cold.
Cough, sore throat, sneezing, fatigue,head ache, low fever, loss of smell or taste, nose and a runny nose are symptoms of cold.For first two days runny nose will be watery , then it get thick and then more thicker than that. Sometimes cough can also associated with it. Cold can lasts for seven to ten days. Depending on the health condition of our body, the symptoms or recovery may be more or less.
Sometimes the dust or pollen can cause allergies and blocks or swells passage way of the noses which results in runny nose or cough. It may be the reason for sore throat , pain in the chest, an ear ache, shortness of breath, trouble swallowing and slight fever, weakness, tiredness. For a children a warm bath can sometimes helps to reduce a fever and ease the mild aches and pains that are common with a cold. They should be stay hydrated, eat enough foods for energy and should take enough rest to recover quick.
We should cure the cold with our home remedies:
- You need to take enough rest and hydrate more than you would on a normal day to fight against the virus.Drinking more juices, herbal teas with cardamom, coriander or ginger,soups help us to stay hydrated.Warm drinks are great relief for cold
- Soothe a sore throat by gargling with a warm water and salt . Dissolve 1/2 or 1 teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water. Gargle with that water for a few seconds two to three times a day.It is an excellent remedy for throat infection
- Drink milk mixed with 1 teaspoon of turmeric and mustard seed powder every night before sleep.It is an effective remedy for cold
- Drink ginger tea.Steep ginger in hot water for sometime and add honey.Ginger has soothing effect for cough and sore throat. Drink it twice a day.Make sure that you should avoid coffee. Caffeine can interfere with medicines and it may increase dehydration. Ginger helps in reducing inflammation and ease congestion.Avoid caffeine and alcohol while you are recovering from the cold.It makes the cold very worse
- Honey has antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.You can mix a tablespoon of honey with warm water and drink it in the empty stomach to escape from cough.You can also add honey with tea or milk.Honey will helps in easing cough and sore throat
- Eat plenty of yogurt or take a daily probiotic supplement. It will help to keep your overall health well.It has plenty of healthy bacteria that helps in fight against the illness of the body including cold
- Cover your cough with tissue to avoid spreading germs into environment.Wash your hands often with soap and water to maintain healthy hygiene.Avoid contacting with the sick person especially in schools and class rooms, because germs can spread easily.Ensure washing your hands thoroughly after contact with them
- We can loss sense of taste and smell because of cold and not tempted to eat food.But it is compulsory to have food to fight against the cold virus.In case of fever, the rise in normal temperature can increases metabolism which causes burning of more calories.The higher the fever , more the body needs energy.We have to eat well and give energy to the body to fight against the bugs
- Have Solanum trilobatum(thoothuvalai) in your daily diet when you are suffering from cold. You can also have cumin rasam and mustard rasam, soups