Tonsils are bunch of tissues at the back of our throat. Tonsils are part of the lymphatic system with adenoids. The lymphatic system traps the germs that could enter your airways and cause infection .It will maintain the body fluids in balance. Tonsils and adenoids act as filters and clears away infection by the germs coming in through the mouth and nose.Tonsillitis is an infection of the tonsils that may affects children and also others.
Tonsillitis will be cured of their own accord within or less than 10 days.Inhaled viruses,bacteria and other organisms entering into the body which causing diseases and infection are protected by tonsils which is the primary defense line of our body.B cells and T cells in the immune system act as an immune defense on the surface of the tonsils.T cells are also produced by Tonsils.
Causes & Symptoms
The vital cause of tonsillitis is usually a Bacteria (Streptococcus). Viral infections can also cause tonsillitis.The common type of virus which causes infection are
Adenovirus can cause common cold,Diarrhea,Infection of lungs,Sore Throat.It can be transmitted through the air by coughing and sneezing.Try to keep distances with the people who are sick.It is cured by their own.
Herpes simplex virus–Infection caused by Herpes simplex virus is due to HSV type-1 or type-2 .HSV-1 can be transmitted from oral or skin surfaces that appear normal from one person to other.Symptoms of HSV type-1 is infected are ulcer in or around the mouth,burning sensation in throat or sore on lips.
Coronavirus is one of the causes for common cold.Drink plenty of water and it can be cured by their own
Respiratory syncytial virus is contagious infection which causes respiratory tract infections.Running nose,sneezing,sore throat are its symptoms.
Influenza is also referred to as flu causes respiratory illness and contagious through cough and cold.Fatigue ,fever are its symptoms.
Because the tonsils are the primary defense against bacteria’s and viruses from the outside environment, they are easily infected.Tonsillitis is most common in children and virus which causes tonsils and adenoids swelling is also common.
The main symptoms are as follows:
- Redness and swelling
- Sore Throat
- Difficulty in breathing
- Fever or high in temperature
- White or yellow coating on the tonsils or on throat
- Pain in Throat
- Difficulty in swallowing foods
- Vomiting and abdominal or stomach upset
- Feeling very Week and tired
The most common home remedy for tonsillitis is to gargle with warm salt water. The warm water will have a soothing effect on the throat and the salt will help kill the bacteria or virus. Salt helps reduce inflammation and gives relief. Add one teaspoon of salt in a cup of warm water and gargle it before going to sleep.
- Drink tea, soup, juice, and dehydration drinks whichever is comfortable.
- Wash your hands often, especially after coming into contact with someone who has a sore throat, or is coughing or sneezing because bacterial tonsillitis can remain contagious for about two weeks.
- Drink plenty of fluids to flush out the waste substances and keep hydrated.
- Raw honey is an age-old effective and one of the quickest and easiest home remedies treatment for sore throat problems.
- Drink warm water or hot soups which is comfortable.
- Eat more vegetables and fruits in diet because they have positive impacts on hydration status.
- Take a pinch of turmeric powder and black pepper powder in a glass of boiled milk, Stir well and drink it up before you sleep.
- Eat soft foods which helps in easy swallowing.
- Drink the juice of carrot, beetroot and cucumber to get relief from tonsillitis.
- Eat bitter gourd to get rid of tonsillitis.
- Add some ginger to tea for a soothing effect.
- Smoking can irritate the throat.
- Wash your hands frequently to avoid infection and developing a secondary bacterial infection.
We can treat tonsillitis through antibiotics also.If it is caused by bacterial infection such as strep,we should be more cautious.
Treatment through Surgery
Tonsillectomy is surgical removal of the tonsils for chronic diseases and most complications. Surgery will also be advised if the swollen tonsils are making very difficult for the child to breath. Tonsillectomy is done on an out-patient basis. Complete recovery should be achieved in three weeks.