Thyroid hormones control the rate of many activities in the body. These include how fast calories are burn and how fast heart beats. All of these activities are body’s metabolism.The thyroid depends on good nutrition to get the iodine, selenium,zinc and vitamins to function properly.
The thyroid gland is located in your throat area, so it literally connects the mind and body.So slow down your eating.
Hyperthyroidism – When thyroid gland makes more thyroid hormones than body needs.
Hypothyroidism – When thyroid gland does not make enough thyroid which is needed.
Natural foods to be added in your Diet:
- Eat Sea Vegetables Twice a Week .Sea vegetables are a good natural source of iodine to support the thyroid gland
- The white food such as white bread, white rice, white pasta should be avoided as it has been overly processed, so eat whole grain bread, brown rice and whole grain pasta instead
- Eat local, seasonal, organic produce, the fresher the better
- Boost your fish consumption.Use caution when selecting fish. Fish that is high in mercury may be bad for your thyroid function
- Reduce sugar intake – To keep your sugar levels low,choose complex carbohydrates such as whole grains,vegetables and fruits. Avoid sugar and sugar substitutes
- The thyroid needs iodine for its proper function.Some of the Iodine sources are Brownish Sea vegetables (kelp, wakame, dulse), Seafood and fish, Yogurt, Milk and Eggs
Heal Hypothyroidism naturally
Hypothyroidism also called under active thyroid disease. With hypothyroidism, your thyroid gland does not make enough thyroid hormone for your body. Hypothyroidism can be a tricky condition to manage. Some of the nutrients heavily influence the function of the thyroid gland and certain foods can inhibit your body’s ability to absorb the replacement hormones, you may take as part of thyroid treatment. Milk, yogurt, iodized salt, fish, eggs can be good for it.
Foods to limit or avoid as you manage hypothyroidism:
- Soy may increase a person’s risk for hypothyroidism. People with hypothyroidism should moderate their intake of soy
- Vegetables such as broccoli and cabbage can interfere with the production of thyroid hormone, particularly people who have an iodine deficiency. Digesting these vegetables can block the thyroid’s ability to absorb the iodine, which is essential for normal thyroid function. People with hypothyroidism may want to limit their intake of broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, turnips, and beans, soy
- Gluten may hamper absorption of thyroid hormone replacement medication.Make sure to take hypothyroidism medication several hours before or after eating high-fiber foods to prevent them from interfering with the absorption of synthetic thyroid hormone
- Fats have been found to disrupt the body’s ability to absorb thyroid hormone replacement medicines.So avoid fatty and oily items. Maintain Body Mass Index
- Avoid or reduce the foods with excess amounts of sugar because it has a lot of calories with no nutrients
- Processed foods tend to have a lot of sodium and people with hypothyroidism should avoid sodium and also avoid fast foods
- Maintain required dose of nutrients is for proper function of thyroid gland
- Try to avoid coffee because of the presence of Caffeine
Symptoms and Cure for Hyperthyroidism
Hyperthyroidism occurs when the thyroid gland makes too much T4, T3, or both. Diagnosis of overactive thyroid gland and treatment of the underlying cause can relieve symptoms and prevent complications.Excess iodine, thyroiditis, or inflammation of the thyroid,tumors of the ovaries or testes, benign tumors of the thyroid or pituitary gland can cause hyperthyroidism.
Follow these diet rules to control your overactive thyroid gland in a natural way:
- As weight loss is a concern in hyperthyroidism, going on a low-calorie diet is a strictly avoided.Choose foods that are low in glycemic index but calorie dense. Whole grains, beans, lentils, cereals are preferred and Gain healthy weight
- Eat more of berries, oranges and vegetables of different colors. The natural antioxidants found in these foods helps to improve immunity
- Avoid food and beverages like soft drinks, pancake syrups, Jam/jelly, cookies, cakes, pastries candy, fat-free frozen yogurt, Packed items etc which contains added sugars
- Eat small meals throughout the day to gain strength and maintain nutrient balance for proper functioning of other organs
- Avoid seaweeds, kelp and other sea foods, Iodized salts which are rich in iodine
- Replace caffeinated drinks with water or healthy fruit juices as they intensify the symptoms of hyperthyroidism
- Eat more of broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower as these goitrogen family foods are known to decrease thyroid hormones in the body
- Consume skimmed milk which are healthy and easy to digest and avoid whole milk
- Foods rich in protein are good sources of zinc, nuts like almonds, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds are good vegetarian sources because it depletes overactive thyroid